Expository Essay Guidelines
Entry Deadline February 15, 2013
Open Only to 12th Grade students attending comprehensive OUSD public high schools.
• Clear, fully realized, insightful thesis fully expressing author’s point of view
• Persuasive use of historical, literature-based, observational and personal experience information and evidence.
• Engaging and individualized voice appropriate to the audience and purpose
• Organization and clarity
• Creativity, passion, and effective use of language
• 1500-2000 words
• ½” margin
• Title page
• Typed doubled space
• All participants will receive a certificate. All first place entries will advance to the finals and notified by March 1, 2013.
All entries must be received on or before February 15, 2013
Participants must register online before submitting their entry at www.tapestryleps.com
The essay must be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
Plagiarized work will be disqualified.
Students who advance to the Finals will be notified by March 1, 2013.
FIRST PRIZE; $1000.00 Cash Award and a NOOK ® TM Electronic Reader from Barnes and Noble
2nd Prize: $500.00 Cash Award
3rd Prize: $250.00 Cash Award
Write to Live, Telling Our Stories © Marsha Rhynes is available through Barnes and Noble Booksellers at 5604 Bay Street in Emeryville and online. A partnership with Barnes and Noble Booksellers in Emeryville helped to make publication of Write to Live, Telling Our Stories possible. Proceeds from the sale of the book help to fund scholarships for Oakland Public School students.
Participants must register online before submitting their entry at www.tapestryleps.com. The essay can be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
1271 Washington Ave #513
San Leandro, CA 94577